Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Ice Storm Of 2007

It was 2007 and me and my family lived in Republic, Mo. We heard about a ice storm headed our way and was preparing the best we could for it. Little as we knew it was far worse then we believed It would be. Late that night around 9n pm when it started it started out as ice droplets falling from the sky we could hear it outside hitting the roof, the car, and the wind beating u[p against the house. Around 10pm we lost power. We all got candles and flashlights out and tried to make the best of the night. I told the kids stories while we sat there waiting for the power to be back on but an hour had passed and still no power. So I finally tucked all the kids in their beds and me and my husband went it be that night, but we could not sleep. All night there were sounds coming from outside, crackling noises, popping sounds from the elected boxes and eerie sounds all not it was dark no street lights and just wind and crackling from trees breaking outside. It was a long cold and scary night. That morning we woke up to see the damage and it was terrifying I had never seen anything so devastating in my life. I had always seen things on the news but in real life when it happens to you it is a very different experience all together. That morning since the only thing that was working was our cell phone's I got on the phone and called the electric company, the school, and found out school was cancelled and that our power would be out fro a week. Apparently the whole south of Missouri got hit bad from this storm and even the power companies had to get help from other cities and states.





crackling noises, popping sounds. The noise of the storm outside was horrible to listen to, I can still remember what the eerie sounds of that night were like. The trees breaking in half crackling, snapping, the electric boxes outside popping and the only light was sparks from the electric boxes cracking and popping. The sounds of that will be forever embedded in my mind. Now I try and prepare for storm more better and I am more aware of things. That morning I decided to call around to see if I could find somewhere we could all stay with warmth and electricity. My other family members live in Oklahoma so we could not go there since the highway was iced over. Finally I found a hotel in Springfield the only one that was opened to stay, got there in time to pay for it, I was so relieved. I will never forget that winter of 2007 it was truly a life experience I will never forget. And the sounds of that ice storm was very scary to hear. Well the crackling, popping, and snapping I would remember if I heard it again and know what was happening but at that time I did not know I just thought it was ice falling from the skies making that sound, not until I looked. My children went through the whole ordeal well. I think better then me.It brought us some family quality time together but I would have rather had that time on something good still it is something we will All remember.There have been more ice storms since the one of 2007 but none like that one, the crackling, popping, and snapping and the devastation it did to homes, businesses and schools was horrible.




No comments:

Post a Comment